Welcome to Summer

We had 2.67 inches of rain from yesterdays system which brings us to over 5 inches for the month of June in Otsego.  Now we will have a couple days to dry out though temps will be slightly below normal today is will be pleasant with lots of sun.

I will be replacing 80 feet of 20+ year old cedar split rail fence today – I put the original fence up after we built our home here, it is looking a bit raggity and the corner posts on the driveway have been backed into a few times over the years.   Looks to be a great day to be working outside.

With the wet weather this year everything made of wood has a coating of moss on it.  Moss is growing in the shady spots around the yard.  There has also been lots of toad stools and small mushrooms growing in bunches around the yard.


 

 

The CPC has put out their July guess for next month which of course is a chance of below normal temperatures (38%).  Our highest temperatures peak mid month in July before they start their slow downward trend as the days get shorter.  To me this would mean a more pleasant summer with less use of the air conditioners.

I am thinking we will be hard pressed to see many 90° days this year though 80° plus is not out of the question as we will see next week.  Normal temps for July are in the low 80s and I am sure we will see quite a few more through the summer months.

I haven’t installed my kitchen air conditioner yet which cools most of the house – we do have a small unit in out bedroom as I sleep better when it is cooler and less humid.  This is the latest I have installed the kitchen unit.

Tomorrow will be another pleasant day then the next system will move in for Sunday and Monday bringing with it the threat of storms and heavy rain (which we don’t need).

 

 

250 total views, 1 views today

newest oldest
Barry in Zeeland
Barry in Zeeland

So the way I read the CPC pie chart, there is a 38% chance of below normal temps, leaving a 62% chance of at or above normal temps.

Mookie
Mookie

Hopefully it doesn’t get too hot. I’ve been loving the mid 70’s, low 80’s weather. This weekend Michigan will likely have some of the best weather in the entire country.

Slim

Michigan usually has very nice temperatures from May to early October from November to March not so much. I would not be too surprised to see several 90 or better days between now and mid September. Grand Rapids averages around 9 days of 90 or better with a range of between 0 in 2014 and 1951 (there have been 4 years with 1 and 6 years with 2 and 4 years with 4) the most in a year is 37 in 1988 with 34 in 1931 in 2nd place 2012 had 32 and is in 3rd place last year had… Read more »

Slim

Just so everyone knows the average H/L at Grand Rapids starting today is 81/60 and is 83/62 by July 4th. So if the CPC guess plays out then we should enjoy a nice period of summer weather. But if their guess for the rest of July plays out then maybe the warm spell may be brief. We shall see.
Slim

Mark (East Lansing)
Mark (East Lansing)

Over 7″ of rain this month at the Lansing airport. We’ve had more than that on this side of town.

Mookie
Mookie

CPC says the heat is on leading up to July 4th! How can this be?

INDY
INDY

July is usually one of the warmest months in Michigan ..Who Knew ?? INDY..

Mookie
Mookie

This is compared to average.

Slim

That same CPC guess is that July as a whole will be cooler then average and to our west it will be wetter. lets see just how that plays out in the days ahead. Remember the CPC will come out with an updated “guess” on sometime at the end of the month. Not sure how they (the CPC do that when the month ends on a Sunday.
Slim

Mookie
Mookie

Their two week forecasts are much more accurate than their monthly forecasts. Wouldn’t put much stock into that.

INDY
INDY

Happy Summer in west Michigan …INDY!!

Mookie
Mookie

Looks like a perfect weekend with lots of sun! And WOOD now has 5 days in the next 8 with temps 80-86. I love it!

Mookie
Mookie

GR hit 70 yesterday even though many on here said it wasn’t going to.

INDY
INDY

Many said it wasn’t going to ???? Just like the other one on here ….Carry On…..INDY!!

Mookie
Mookie

Yep forecast was in the 60’s and Slim talked about a whole bunch of stats for if we didn’t hit 70.

INDY
INDY

Yep Slim you = many many many… Lol INDY!

Slim

yep, the forecast high yesterday was in the upper 60’s well sometime between 2 PM and 8 PM the automated system at GRR touched 70° there were NO hourly reports of a temperature warmer then 69 yesterday!
Slim

Rocky (Rockford)
Rocky (Rockford)

Will July make it 7 months in a row with below normal temps! Absolutely incredible!

Mookie
Mookie

Almost incredible as 4 straight warm years in a row? Oh wait, nope.

Slim

With June now looking like it will end up being the 6th month in a row of below average temperature wise one might wonder just how rare that is. Well from October 2002 to August 2003 Grand Rapids had 10 months in a row of below average temperatures August 2003 was just about average (+0.3) with September and October back to below average and November being above average at +1.0 then December being +2.4 then back to below average in January and February 2004.
Slim

Slim

For a change the sky is clear this morning with a temperature of 56 here at my house and 57 out at the airport. At this time the mean temperature at Grand Rapids is 64.0 and that is a departure of -3.0° Officially at GRR the rain fall yesterday was 1.57″ and this has been a cloudy month so far also. According to Bill Stiffen as of June 17th GR has only had 46% of possible sunshine this month 63% is average for June
Slim